Friday, December 10, 2010

I absolutely love...

...children.


I bet you didn't expect me to say that!  You probably thought I was going to say that I love the Asos White Collection. Well I love the (very sleek) white collection too! The British-based company, Asos, is offering free shipping worldwide (everywhere - for a limited time only) on their reasonably-priced pieces (and many items are on sale!!). Back to why I love children...

They are pure at heart and totally open. Adult minds are cluttered with biases. Children are open to new concepts and, most importantly, to people who are different from them.

Today I had the opportunity to teach classes in the Bronx to a group of underprivileged kids. The rambunctious group was better than any powerful, youth-infusing cream at making me feel young again. Forget La Mer  - I'll take the power of fourth and fifth graders any day.

One little girl asked the most profound question. I'd like you to picture this first: everyone else was being silly and laughing, when she quietly raised her hand to ask us this: "Do you like your jobs?" I was floored! Was she a mind reader?! I didn't even know what to say (I'm a DID after all!), so I said, "That is a very good question, thank you for taking interest in us. Our jobs are very challenging at times, but they are rewarding because we get opportunities to meet with amazing children like you."

So I stretched the truth. For all intents and purposes, I dislike my job and am working towards finding a new career, but at that moment when she asked the question I meant what I said. My company is amazing in that it allowed me the opportunity to take time out of my workday to volunteer. They encourage philanthropy and community service. Even this DID can find the positive in what she finds to be rather humdrum. I'm proud of me and hopeful.

Current feeling: Inspired. Thanks teachers of P.S. ___ you are warriors.

Happy weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Good answer. Thanks for not bursting their bubble of purity and optimism. Maybe that's what will bust our F-factor, pure optimism!

    ReplyDelete