Thursday, November 4, 2010

Who are the people in your neighborhood?


I've always been intrigued by the characters in my office. You know the type of people I'm talking about, people like: the tchotchke lady, the 15-smoke-breaks-a-day lady, the prints-his-resume-on-the-shared-printer guy, the overly-bubbly intern, the jargon guy (let's regroup and circle back on the deployment of the preassessment project), and my favorite the high-powered-business chic (HPBC). An HPBC can be identified by her always perfect business casual/formal business wear (her clothes are never wrinkled), her fast-paced walk through the office corridors, and the authoritative way she talks to everyone ( I mean everyone). An encounter with HPBC will result in her delegating something to you.

I've thought about writing a murder-mystery novel with my office as the backdrop, featuring some of my favorite office characters. I would trick my readers into suspecting HPBC (she is the obvious suspect) only to have the actual killer be Tchotchke lady or charms-us-all-with-his-posh-british-accent guy. I'm undecided. I it would become a best seller, because everyone wants to read about spreadsheets, office politics, and the woes of shops-on-gilt-all-day lady.

In the book, I would star as the cries-at-her-desk-frequently chic. Yup that's me! It's time I introduce the real reason for writing this blog. I hate my career and it is causing me distress. Don't get me wrong, I don't shovel mud everyday or anything like that. I have a relatively high-paying job with great benefits and total autonomy, but I can't find satisfaction or perspective. I know what you are thinking: suck it up - we all hate our jobs! Well, I won't do that. I firmly believe that I can find a career that fits my goals and interests - and I am willing to take risks and make sacrifices while I figure it out.

Perhaps I am idealistic. If that's the case, so what. I am going to find something that makes me extremely happy, every single day.

Maybe someday I can be the always-has-candy-at-her-desk executive or the enjoys-her-job-immensely lady. Both sound like a big improvement from cries-at-her-desk-frequently chic.

Ultimately, I'd like to be the always-smiling-at-work lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment