Monday, November 8, 2010

Busker what it is right now



Happy Monday everyone! How was your weekend? Mine was amazing, I watched Xtina run the marathon, had dinner with Russell Crowe at Le Bilboquet (well not exactly, but he was there), watched The Town, and learned a new term, busker.

A busker is a person who entertains in public places for donations (i.e. a street performer). I see buskers all the time in NYC and I love them! A talented busker can turn a boring subway ride into an experience to remember.

I saw my favorite type of busker this weekend, a norteño band. Norteño is a type of Mexican music that is comparable to country music (i.e. lyrics about family, love, and loss)and includes an accordion. I love it!

If you are interested in sampling some music from the norteño genre, download some music from Los Tigres Del Norte - they are great!

p.s. The guys in this photo are clearly brothers, no?

1 comment:

  1. I love the norteño musicians on the trains! I also love the buskers in the subway stations - it makes waiting for the train not so boring. My favorite is the 'Saw Lady' - did you ever see her? I saw her today at the 34th street subway station and I took her card - it advertises her blog: SubwayMusicBlog.com It's interesting to see the busking situation from the point of view of the musician.

    ReplyDelete