Friday, March 11, 2011

Burton Writes of Taylor, Vogue, March 1, 1965

The Welsh actor and Elizabeth Taylor had been married a year when he wrote this description of his first look at her.

"...a girl sitting on the other side of the pool lowered her book, took off her sunglasses and looked at me. She was so extraordinarily beautiful that I nearly laughed out loud...I smiled at her and, after a long moment, just as I felt my own smile turning into a cross-eyed grimace, she started slightly and smiled back. There was little friendliness in the smile...She sipped some beer and went back to her book...She spoke to no one...Was she merely sullen, I wondered? I thought not. There was no trace of sulkiness in the divine face. She was a Mona Lisa type, I thought...ans she is famine, fire, destruction, and plague, she is the dark Lady of the Sonnets, the only true begetter...Her breasts were apocalyptic, they would topple empires down before they withered. Indeed, her body was a miracle of construction and the work of an engineer of genius. I needed nothing except itself. It was true art."

What is it that Rachel Zoe says? "I die." Well puppets, I die reading things like the above. Something about it is so appealing to me. The raw sensuality in being someone's famine, destruction, and plague puts me in a bit of a tizzy. Elizabeth Taylor was a modern day Livia Drusilla. Perhaps it is my love affair with words or  my love affair with dark divas that makes me swoon. Women who demand your attention and are hopelessly unfaltering. Who knows what it is, all I know, is that - I die.

1 comment:

  1. I read a book about Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's love affair on my last vacation. Old Hollywood, smut and romance. A page turner.

    Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century
    http://www.amazon.com/Furious-Love-Elizabeth-Richard-Marriage/dp/006156284X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299859945&sr=8-2

    Emm
    the-lush-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete