Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book review: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings


Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a beautiful memoir about a very confusing time in her life. Faced with an upbringing soiled with racisim and indifference, a young Angelou finds solace in books, her undying love for her brother, and her advanced understanding that there is more awaiting her in this world.

Like Ms. Angelou I grew up in a confusing household filled with love and a lot of inconsistency. The bonds I had with my books and my sister are what kept me afloat during an otherwise confusing time. I too know why the caged bird sings - it sings to find its own voice.

Ms. Angelou characterizes women whose strength is demonstrated in very different ways. Whether it is withstanding rejection due to racisim or using beauty as a life currency. It is clear that Maya learned to hold her head up high and move forward full speed ahead from these women. Her inspiring story is one I strongly recommend to anyone who had the pleasure of being brought up by strong women. 

It's very hard to believe that the narrator of this story is the profound artist Maya Angelou. At times she seems bound for a doomed life. I believe it was her courage and intellect that made her the woman she is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment